Friday, February 29, 2008

The Others....part 2

I knew there was something I forgot to mention. I was supposed to answer the following questions, What other blogs have you discovered? What do you like about them?

Ok, well being new to this whole blogosphere, I decided to check out blogs of note and thought I list down some noteworthy blogs that I've come across.

http://www.foodmayhem.com
I thought this food blog was great, not only did it have recipes but their commentary was personable, informative and interesting to say the least. I also like how they have a button called 'mayhem' when you click on it, it brings up random posts, which I think is a great idea if you have been blogging for awhile, and have built up your archive and would want to highlight some great past posts.
They also have scrumptious pictures of their recipes, which is an absolute must for any foodie blog! Also check out the recipe for Emeril's Banana Cream Pie, I drooled over this and not being the greatest cook, I have to be satisfied with looking at the picture every now and then, until I bribe one of my friends to make it for me. :)

http://boingboing.net
Boing Boing is a weblog of cultural curiosities and interesting technologies. Their layout wasn't visually impressive, considering it ranked top 5 for Technorati, however they do have funny posts from crow vending machines to how mushrooms can save the world. They also discussed Neil Gaiman's new book 'American Gods', how the publishers release it for free online, and why they don't think the experiment worked.
What I also like is that they have their own TV show for their blog, impressive as well as the amount of info that is on there!

http://www.theshiftedlibrarian.com
A "shifted librarian" is someone who is working to make libraries more portable.

A worthwhile blog to read, a librarian passionate about technology and the application of them in libraries. Provides a good insight on the latest technological advancement in libraries but not restricted to them. Recommended read on the blog: What is the shifted librarian.
I also like that access to the blog archives are done via a calendar (picture link) than a word link. I didn't think much of the template selected, for a technology driven blog I thought it was a bit dated and it could be better structured for readability.

http://libraryrevolution.com
Another library driven blog which in comparison to 'the shiftedlibrarian' was much easier to navigate, thanks to structure of the text and a good layout. Library revolution is all about the ways in which we can take what we do well in libraries and do it better.
I really like the 'cluster cloud' which are tags arranged within a box, as well as the 'twitter' which is something like short random comments on anything. I also really like the Clustr Maps, which shows the location of all visitors on a world map, interesting to see that the North Island of New Zealand had more of a concentration on people viewing this blog moreso than their Sydney counterparts.

Okay well I looked twitter up and here's what it says....Twitter is a service for friends, family, and co–workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?

Hmm I've also been hearing about widgets, my understanding of them after hitting up Wikipedia is that they are third party apps, sort of like small contained programs which can be embedded into other programs. I wonder whether it will be included in the learning 2.0 subject list?

Unfortunately they don't seem to be included, mental note to myself must explore widgets and see whether I can include some on my blog.

Well that's all for now about other blogs, I'm off to do week 3 program: Flickr.

2 comments:

pls@slnsw said...

Sounds like you are finding some really interesting rss feeds.

Ellen (PLS)

techthusiasm said...

There's so much out there, rss feeds are great, now the thing is not to get addictive to them. :)

Actually I've been coming across more and more articles where people are becoming addictive to bebo, facebook and other social networking sites. Scary but true, hmm it's only a matter of time before rss feeds are featured somewhere.