Sunday, April 27, 2008

Slamming the board


Discover: What a wonderful global concept US Librarians have created to publicise reference services online and internationally. Congratulations to the two Australian Librarians who have also registered for wiki, it was good to see that we are being represented. Hopefully more reference librarians from Australia will register once they have completed this weeks exercise, however I know this would require time commitment.

In reviewing the 'Exemplary Answers' section of the Answer Board Librarians (ABL), slammers are encouraged to list sources, and often provide other links for more information. They also sign off using a general library tag which may or may not include links to local libraries.

Explore: Our library can set up a wiki where reference questions, services and collections can be discussed, questions answered and so forth. This way we are create a living breathing service, where the public can assist in creating the type of service they would continually use.

Adventure: Well I've done it, my question was 'Can someone give me a definition of 'resources' Thanks? I've included my answer which I got from merriam-webster dictionary online. Also I created my avatar, which was fun.

Some interesting links found while exploring:

Annoyed Librarian (blog)
Provides a less than enthusiastic view on slamming the board and wiki answers - post created quite a few comments.

Librarian net
Quite possibly one of the first Librarian blogger, Jessamyn West.

'My
passion presently is mucking about in the intersection of libraries, technology and politics and describing what I find there.'

Ask Metafilter
'....
arguably one of the more awesome “answer sites” currently in existence' J. West

Answer Board Librarians facebook profile
Can only be view if you are a member of facebook


No comments: