Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Technorati and Library Thing

Headed over to Technorati and did a basic search on bookmobile. 556 posts tagged with bookmobile, there was only 16 actual bookmobile blogs. It's good that Technorati provides options to search within tags or in posts, it allows for greater retrieval.

Did advance searching and the results seem pretty consistent, except in the field for NONE of the words. I assume that the bookmobile will not be listed in any of the results, however it did? Which, unless I'm doing something wrong, seem to negate having a 'NONE of the words' searching capabilities. They also have something called authority, is this similar to how libraries uses authority records?

Looked up nswpln2008 and was able to view the photos tagged from flickr, was excited to see my picture was also listed. This is a good search option to have included on Technorati.
I initially had no hits with any posts for nswpln2008 until I change the authority from alot to any. In this sense we can see which members have actually been tagging their posts for the learning 2.0. I have to admit I never bother with tagging in my post, because I wasn't really aware that it can be applied to individual posts. However if I go to all the trouble of adding tagging would my post be picked up by technorati?

Note to self: Apply tagging to posts for all up coming weeks and do search on technorati.

Looked up what authority meant on Technorati:
Authority is determined by the number of unique blogs indexed by Technorati that have linked to yours in the past 180 days. So to build your authority, encourage bloggers to link to you and to ping Technorati

Library Thing

Amazingly enough I still remember my login details. The first time I checked out Library thing, I was impressed with the amount of resources online, but aside from showing staff the recommendation tools I haven't access it again until today.

***1 1/2 hrs later*** oh soo much to see, so much to explore and I've just stumble across book swapsites...oh dream, which site to register on?!? what a dilemma. I never knew that there were this many book swap sites out there. I know of only book crossing, which is another fantastic site, based on a shared passion for reading by leaving registered book crossing books in public places where they can be picked up. The person then logs onto to the website to register that the book has been caught, and blog about it. Once you have finished reading you then re-release it out into the wild again. One of the great things is that you can see how well travel a book is and follow it's journey. Admittedly I haven't done this yet, it would be exciting to see whether one of my releases gets caught and blogged about. If you're interested in reading a book that has been release you can go hunting, and find out whether any books have been released near you.

Give me a shout out if you have.

Okay need to focus, I added five books and wanted to place the librarything widget, but as I mentioned I only have five books currently in my library, so no point at this current stage. It was very easy to add books to your library. Out of the five titles I added, Castle of Wizardry by David Eddings was the most 'owned' book with 1,808 members.

Well I better move along to answer boards and social searching.



1 comment:

cuppa.thé said...

I have joined Bookcrossing too. Fascinating to see where books have been left in the wild all over Sydney. Makes me want to go hunting for some!