Monday, April 14, 2008

Wicked Wikis

I had a look at the 'discover' wikis and the work applications wikis, and I have to admit that I never fully understood the scope of what wikis can do . The first wiki I used was Wikipedia and I still remember my first impressions of it, skepticism mostly, on whether the information on it was accurate, and also its longevity on the web, why would people want to access information from an encyclopedia that was essentially edited by anyone. Who knew!

How many years later, and now not only do I use it to quickly fill in my knowledge gaps, but wikipedia actually has become famous in its own right, with mentions in some movies. Amazing! Actually wikipedia is probably a case in point for web 2.0 and how the social revolution has evolved the Internet.

Anyway, I thought the wikis mentioned for this week were interesting and fun. I enjoyed Wookieepedia, I had fun looking up my fave characters. Also I just wanted to put it out there, but after I watched "Phantom Menace" I wished they had left the originals alone, I still have yet to watch the other two prequels, oh well.

After exploring other wikis, I keep thinking how wikis can be utilised in my library, and these are just some wikis I would love to create, of course this depends completely on time and skill level in creating wikis, however these are my rough ideas.

1. Procedures/Training Wiki - This is one that I would really love to develop, I will need to search for more examples though.
2. Readers Advisory Wiki ? I'm not sure whether to create one specific for the library or get staff to access the NSW Readers Advisory Working Group wiki
3. Computer Course wiki - resources particularly for those who have enrolled in the public Computer / Internet course at our library.

Well that's it for now, better to keep it small and somewhat possible to implement.

I'm off to see whether I can add/edit information about my suburb in Wikipedia, well that's if some else hasn't beaten me to it.

Had a chance to play around in the nswlearning2 wiki which was a lot of fun, was lucky enough to also add an new entry into the list rather than edit one previously set up. Had a look at wikipedia and they have quite a few rules when adding, editing and sourcing, am 'scared' to edit in that wiki, lest I make a mistake and ruin the whole entry.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

I think quite a few wikis benefit from having writers from different organisations - the NSW Readers Advisory Wiki is one example, Wikipedia is another. I think it can be difficult, at first, encouraging staff to engage in this different kind of collaboration, but once they get started there is a lot of enthusiasm. You can then always download the book lists and locally brand them.

There are also some really good reasons to have library specific wikis.

Ellen