Monday, April 14, 2008

Youtubing it.

I'm fairly proficient on this topic, having used it mostly for recreational use, ie: looking up the latest music video clips, tv shows, previews to movies and so forth. Like many things on the Internet, you can get stuck spending a whole night just checking out stuff on youtube. Seriously addictive!~

I created an account on youtube when I brought my digital camera and filmed a short dance clip of my brothers, and ended up uploading it to youtube for laughs, and partially to share it with our families overseas.

There were initial concerns in the family about having our brothers up there for the world to see, however the more 'perceived sensitive' clips were made private and can only be viewed by those I 'invited'. Needless to say my brothers became 'famous' when it got out they were on there.

Having an account definitely came in handy when I flew out year to attend a funeral, and was asked that the memorial presentation shown at the service, be uploaded to youtube. I had reservations about placing something so essentially private and emotional on there, but it was an expressed wish of the family and so it was uploaded that night.

It is still up there now, and every now and then family would comment on how they would watch the clip, time and time again. I have to admit I am strangely reassured that anytime I want to remember my nan I can youtube her, and reminisce.

Now to back to Explore...

It's great to know that Libraries like Mosman have such a strong presence on the web and a little envious (holding arms out wide) with the amount of diverse content they have out there. I know with the completion of this course, that the gap between those libraries without presence and Mosman would certainly lessen, however it is good to have a great example on the type of web 2.0 technology libraries in general should be applying and to use Mosman Library as a standard.

Just a couple of the things I would like our library to implement:

- Author talks - video clips
- Training talks - different topics (on intranet)
- A competition for youths to create a funky, informative, short video on our library and to run it within the library and include it on our website

There are so many great ideas to implement with each one of the topics covered for the learning 2.0 course, one wonders whether we may need to have some type of project management course to ensure that certain great ideas are implemented.


Have an urge to dance? Too shy?, no partner?, completely uncoordinated? Totally unfit? Have no fear, taking dancing lessons has never been easier, and cheaper. All you need is a computer with Internet connection and you're good to go.

Log on to www.youtube.com or www. video.google.com.au

What are you waiting for? Grab your dancing shoes and let's do the bus stop.

No comments: